so, yesterday i made my first tiramisu. well, i never thought of making tiramisu though, not really my cup of tea. or my plate of dessert, more like. partly because i myself am not a coffee person, and partly because it kinda is overrated...
but then, when i finally made it myself...
i changed my mind.
now i think that tiramisu is a wonderful dessert, especially if custom made suiting your tastebuds best. hehhe. i found this one simple recipe from the internet, and i think it's super good.
but i really have to say, tiramisu is quite a pricey dessert. haha. it calls for using mascarpone cheese (which, is very tasty btw!) which costs a bit more than the usual cream cheese. like, for example, one block of philadelphia cheese usually costs around 3aud plus around here, but the same amount of mascarpone cheese costs about 5aud plus! i was a bit shocked at seeing the price, as this was my first time buying mascarpone cheese.
anyhow, it really is okay to invest a bit more into something as good as this every once in a while i guess. hahaha. and the best part is that, the dessert is really easy to make!
also, i've learnt (from reading the comments below the recipe) that the biscuits should be soaked with coffee just nice; not under-soaked, nor over-soaked. i'm not sure on how soaked the biscuits should be though, since this was my first time making tiramisu. but i reckon it all depends on how you like the tiramisu to be. if it's under-soaked, it's going to be a bit crisper? i guess? and less coffee-ish??
tiramisu (recipe from taste.com.au)
- 500g mascarpone cheese
- 2tbsp castor sugar
- 400ml coffee liquid (i used about 2tbsp coffee diluted with 400ml water)
- 1 x 250g savoiardi biscuits (sponge fingers)
- dark chocolate - garnishing
- cocoa powder - garnishing
- beat mascarpone with caster sugar until soft peaks form. set aside.
- prepare coffee. dip 1/2 the savoiardi biscuits in coffee (one by one) and arrange over base of container/dish. spread mascarpone cheese mixture over the first layer of biscuits. dip the rest of the biscuits in coffee (one by one) and arrange over cheese layer. spread another layer of cheese mixture over the second layer of biscuits.
- keep in fridge for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- drizzle cocoa powder all over the top, and garnish with grated chocolate.
*tiramisu definitely tastes better after a few days in the fridge.
i doubled this recipe since i was using quite a large container for the tiramisu. i used a 2.8 L pyrex dish (22.5 x 33 cm). go on and try this recipe at home! it's really easy and the result is mm mmmmmhh yummeeeyhhh :)
btw, i found this lovely yellow tin bucket at GoLo (a discount store in adelaide). teeheeee i love it! i plan to use for storing lemons from the backyard. heeee happy happy me ♥
have a lovely week everyone! looking forward to finishing my assignments!! got loads to do!!
baker at heart,