freshly picked lemon's, right from the backyard. heheh. i've been wanting to make some ugly cupcakes. the ones that look like comfort food; ugly but yummy. so i've decided to make good use of the lemons, and make some ugly lemon cupcakes!
see how ugly they look? heheh. i love how perfectly imperfect they look. just my kind of comfort food. i used my favourite lemon cake recipe to make these. it's so easy and makes very good lemon cake! oh, it's actually lemon BUTTER cake... so sometimes i use the same recipe, just minus the lemons, to make perfectly good butter cakes. heheh. my favourite recipe :)
i drizzled some lemon glaze all over the cupcakes. i think it made them look all the more prettier. more comot. hahaha.
the texture is soft and fluffy, and it tastes buttery and lemony as well - as the name lemon butter cake suggests, obviously. haha.
i used cream cheese frosting as the topping. i think creamcheese and lemon really do go well together. they kinda are the perfect addition to each other. so, yeah.
and yepp. i love my muffin pan. it looks rustic and worn. heee :)
anyways, let's get to the recipe shall we?
LEMON BUTTER CUPCAKES (recipe adapted from Nasik Lemak Lover)
makes 18-20 cupcakes
- 250g butter
- 200g sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 lemons (finely grate the rind)
- 350g self raising flour
- 8 tbsp milk
- 250g creamcheese
- 50g butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 lemon (squeeze the juice)
- 1 lemon (finely grate the rind)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- add in lemon rind into the batter, continue beating until well mixed.
- fold in flour and milk, and combine well.
- spoon batter into papercups in muffin tray, until it's about 3/4 full.
- bake in preheated oven at 180 C for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- take out of oven, and let cool.
- beat butter, creamcheese, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- mix sugar and lemon juice, and cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- add lemon rind to mixture, and set aside.
- use this while it's still hot.
- when cupcakes are cooled, spoon creamcheese frosting onto cupcakes and decorate as you wish. i just scrape the frosting onto the cupcakes, and smooth it using the back of a spoon.
- drizzle lemon glaze all over cupcakes (while lemon glaze is still hot. but BE CAREFUL okay).
and there you have it. very simple, and requires very little ingredients. just my kind of recipe. haha. anyways, i actually doubled the original recipe. and as you could see from some of the pictures above, some of the cupcakes are a bit burnt... i forgot to check on them while they were in the oven! hahaha.
happy baking peeps!
it's spring now in adelaide. but the weather is still hormonal. sometimes it's bright, sunny, warm, and HOT. and sometimes, it's cloudy, rainy, and a bit chilly. but the early buds of spring are here now, and i'm loving it :)
baker at heart,