i made this dessert a few weeks back, but didn't have the time nor the energy to post a new update up on the blog. working life is really hectic this year, no la dolce vita for me this year.
i planned to whip up some chilled desserts for our small house party, well actually it was more of a football night really. it was for the first match of piala something... (please excuse my ignorance) and it definitely was TRW's match that night. so we had some friends over, and had a small Raya/Bola feast.
i had 'healthy' in my mind when i was thinking of the dessert, and OAT somehow came into the picture. so i googled for recipes, aaandd this came up.
that's the peach crumble base. i tweaked the recipe a bit, especially for the base to make do for my lack of ingredients since this recipe was kind of unplanned. hihi.
oh BUT. because i didn't have any oats in my stash, i substituted with instant oat drink powder in sachets... BAD decision. don't do this. just... don't. it ruins the whole taste of the thing, and it turned this dessert into something that was cloyingly sweet, just the complete opposite of what it should've been. haha. i didn't know that the wee amount of powdered sugar in the oat drink sachets were thaaat sweet ehmergerddd.
anyhoo. all was good. our friends did finish up their desserts (i served it in individual glasses). i was just a bit disappointed that i used the instant oat powder :(
cheesy peachy crumble (adapted from allrecipes)
- 125g plain flour
- 80g porridge oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 150g dark brown soft sugar
- 110g butter
- a can of peach
- 50g icing sugar
- a packet of instant mango pudding
- Preheat oven to 180 C/ gas 4.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, sugar and butter. Mix until crumbly.
- Reserve 70g crumb mixture, set aside. With remaining crumbs, pat onto bottom of greased tray, not too thinly and not too thick.
- Scatter diced peaches over unbaked base and top with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 180 C/gas 4 for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, vanilla, milk and icing sugar . Beat until smooth.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
- prepare this while waiting for cheese layer to set in the fridge.
- follow directions on instant pudding box
- for the base, spoon broken bits of cooled peach crumble into serving glass.
- pour cheese layer onto base.
- cover and refrigerate for 30 mins - 1 hour or until cheese layer sets.
- pour slightly cooled instant pudding onto cheese layer.
- let cool to room temperature.
- cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until pudding sets.
*tips: to pour pudding onto cheese layer, be sure to pour it from the sides of the glass (preferably very close to the rim) so that the warm pudding will not penetrate through the cheese layer if you pour it into the center of the cheese layer.
this is a very refreshing dessert to serve on a hot day. do it right, and don't use instant oats okay! :P
baker at heart,